Wednesday, March 11, 2015

a SEAL isn't just an animal in my eyes

I've come to realize that a simple four letter acronym can mean so much more than the words it represents. S.E.A.L. is much more than Student Educators for Active Leadership. S.E.A.L. is a family, a group of now 26 members who are there for each other. A group of members who stand up for what they believe in. A group of members who work together for a common cause. A group of members who recognize that yes we are all different, but we indeed accept each other for who we are and by no means treat anyone otherwise. I've come to finally see how much this group of individuals means to me.
Last night we welcomed nine new members into our family and this being my second initiation as a S.E.A.L. it really reassured how much I love this organization. Not only has it brought me life long friends and taught me countless lessons, it has helped me realize who I am. S.E.A.L., while we may tell everyone that we are a leadership organization on campus, we are more than leadership. We work towards selfless service, towards a bully free campus, towards building leaders out of those who don't believe they can lead, and towards so much more. We are an ever changing organization, we do not have one set type of person that we accept and we do not have one set sole purpose.
As we welcomed in nine new members yesterday, it warmed my heart to know that we are able to continue to reach across all demographics around campus, and to know that we will remain a loving organization who accepts each other for who we truly are. What is S.E.A.L. to me? It is my home. I mean what can I say, Tuesday is the best day of my week. I walk by the Amelia room and all the S.E.A.L. memories just flood my head. They say you find yourself when you're in college, and S.E.A.L. let me find myself and be myself. They let me figure out what type of leader I am, they let me be my awkward self, they accept me for my weirdness, and most importantly I accept them as well.
With that being said, thank you S.E.A.L. I thank you for always being there, for teaching me so much, for being my shoulder when I need one to lean on. S.E.A.L. has given me so much, including my best friends, and I could never pay this organization back for all it has done for me.
"I have insecurities of course, but I don't hang out with anyone that points them out to me."



No comments:

Post a Comment