Monday, March 23, 2015

Being a Longwood student means more than just taking classes and getting a degree

This blog post couldn't have come at a more perfect time. I have this list in the back of my agenda of potential blog posts and as I looked at it in between classes today I decided I was going to write the post I labeled as the struggles of a college student, specifically a Longwood student. Now don't just stop reading there as you think this is going to be a post for the sole purpose of complaining about how hard college is and blah blah blah, because it's not, I promise. For those who don't know me, I am very involved, constantly running back and forth, and I am almost never in my apartment except to sleep. Between classes, work, and my many extra-curricular activities I am constantly going, which is how I like it. Lately I've been stressing a lot about the actually student aspect of being at Longwood, not the work and extra-curricular aspects, but the thought of somehow graduating in a year and a half has really been putting a ton of stress on me. I still have 33 credits to take in two semesters along with a 120 hour internship requirement that I have not fulfilled. Longwood puts a lot of emphasis on internships, which is one of the many things that drew me into Longwood when I was in high school. It is a great way to help get your feet in the door after graduation. Recently though I have thought otherwise about this internship requirement. I no longer want to work in the my field of study so why find an internship in that field? Academically this is my current struggle as a LU student but there is also a lot more that I've been dealing with that today seemed to all find it's worth in my life at Longwood.
Longwood is a relatively small school, many students are actively involved on campus in one or more organizations around the community. Myself, I am actively involved in three organizations, have a part time job at a residence hall, and recently went inactive from my fourth organization. I do believe that our campus involvement is one thing that makes Longwood unique. Longwood works to build "citizen leaders" and I truly believe that our university does a fantastic job at this. Two of the organizations I am involved in work towards leadership and bettering the community. I put my all into every organization that I join, I run for leadership or officer positions, I attend all the events I can, and put in all the time that I am able to give, and I do all this not expecting anything in return except for self-growth on a personal level. I don't walk around Longwood expecting people to know my name because I am involved, I walk around Longwood hoping that somehow I will be able to make a difference in the community. While I talked earlier about the "struggles of a Longwood student" this to me isn't a struggle, working for others, this is a blessing. This is the blessing of being a Longwood student.
Longwood has two secret societies, one of which being CHI. CHI represents Longwood spirit, and they are represented by their motto "service to the whole without seeking honor for thyself." CHI is Longwood, and it is a constant topic around campus. Today when I opened my mailbox I saw a letter and as I looked down the return address read "CHI, Longwood University." I immediately thought this has got to be a mistake. I would never get a letter from CHI. It wasn't a mistake though, it was letter addressed to me recognizing me for my service and work here at Longwood. My life as a Longwood student is complete. I never would have expected to get a letter of such sorts but as I read it I was extremely thankful. This morning I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I was in a horrible mood, I was mentally and physically drained, but this letter gave me the energy to continue to do what I do best, and that is keep going. As I stated I never expect to be thanked for my work, I don't do it for the recognition (as I wrote in an earlier post), I do it to help others and to grow as an individual, but receiving a letter from CHI was quite possibly the greatest feeling as a Longwood student. Thank you CHI. Thank you for recognizing those who deserve it, for being there to watch over Longwood and recognize those who don't get recognized, and be a constant representation of the spirit of Longwood. Thank you for my letter because it could not have come at a better time. While my work at Longwood is not done quite yet, I finally know that my work at Longwood is worth it, and in ways for more than just personal growth.

1 comment:

  1. You so deserve it !!! Congratulations Kylie!

    ReplyDelete