Thursday, April 23, 2015

Goodbye third year, hello fourth

Junior year. Tomorrow marks my last day of classes of my third year of college. This year has been a roller coaster to say the least, but I have grown so much in this past year and I wouldn't trade anything about this year. I've been asked questions about where I am going to do my internship, what will I be doing after I graduate, why I am a criminal justice major, and so much more that involves my future. To be completely honest with you all, I absolutely hate those questions. Usually when I say the word hate I by no means actually truly mean hate, but I for sure do hate those questions. Why is the world so centered around the future. In certain aspects this is great, but why are so many others concerned about my future when I don't even have the answers to their questions. This has been one of my largest challenges this year. Facing my future head on. I am so ready to figure out what my future has in store for me, but I want to take it one step at a time. I do not want to work in criminal justice, I do not want to work in law enforcement like I always planned, but this is okay, I will discover what I am meant to do soon enough. I am taking it one step at a time, and as I am finishing my last step of junior year, I want to pause and take a moment to recognize all the amazing things that have occurred this year and those people that have been apart of this year.
*While it was one of the hardest realizations I've ever faced, this year I finally realized that criminal justice is not for me. Junior year, you would think I have it all planned out, but no. I couldn't be any more thankful for this realization to have come at this time. While I didn't go back and change my major, because I do love criminal justice and learning about the system, I am finally content with where I am and not knowing where I want to go after.
**I'm about to pull a gigantic Longwood card. Longwood is my home. I don't know how I only have one year left here because I can't ever imagine being anywhere else in life. This university has brought the most amazing people into my life, and has allowed me to face some of my biggest challenges head on, and I am forever grateful. I think just being at Longwood has made me a different person for the better, this is something that I could never repay this school for.
***My junior year has brought me the most comfort in the aspect of my friendships. I have never in my life felt that I belong where I am more than I have this year. In life I have never felt important in my "friendships" but this year, that has changed. I have encountered the most influential and amazing individuals this year. I truly am grateful to no end for all that they have done for me. I've finally realized that I can prove my past wrong, and that I can hold friendships. I've realized that my friends from the past that I no longer talk to were there for a reason at the time, but that the ones in my life right now are here for a reason, and for the long haul because this is the point in life where I know what my friendships mean to me. They mean the world.
****This year I have realized how much family means to me. I have always loved my family with all my heart but this year I have never been more thankful for the time that I have got to spend with them. After a hard week, they are my rock. No matter if it's trip to the 757, to Richmond for a few hours, to JMU or where ever they may be, it is truly a gift to be able to spend time with them.
*****I could go on for hours about how much this year has changed me, but I have to find a place to call it quits and I think this is the place to end it. This year I have finally accepted that I don't know where I am going, but I know that I am where I am and that I will get to where I am going because of those in my life. This year has answered so many questions but it has also left so many questions unanswered, which is okay. I'm ending this year on a happy note because I know that I have at least one year left here at Longwood with those who mean the world to me and that I am going to make the most of this summer so that I can make the most of next year. Life has thrown a few curve balls my way this year, but each and everyone of those curve balls had a purpose. Thank you Longwood for giving me yet another amazing year.

No comments:

Post a Comment