Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Dear Recognition,

We are raised in a society where recognition is always promised. Whether it be for getting straight A's in school, doing the "right thing at the right time," being an outstanding individual in some aspect of life, or so much more, we were raised to expect recognition when we do well. Recently I've realized how much of a disadvantage it is to be raised in a society where we learn to expect recognition. My university claims to build "citizen leaders," and I do believe that Longwood does a spectacular job at building these leaders, but recently I've noticed that some people (including myself from time to time) expect recognition 24/7. To me this isn't what a "citizen leader" is, we shouldn't expect recognition, we should be able to lead and serve our community without hoping to gain something out of it. We all have our signature lines at the end of our emails, we post statuses when we earn awards, we expect phone calls and texts when we achieve a large goal in life, but this shouldn't be what life is about.
Recently I have come to realize that life should be selfless. Our human nature is to be better than the next guy, and the recognition we receive is what feeds that want, but how do we overcome that? To truly enjoy life we don't need our family to tell us every single day that they are proud of every little step we take throughout the day, we don't need to get an entire day dedicated to us for simply getting up out of bed to go to class or work, we need to learn to be selfless, we need to learn to be proud of ourselves and accept that others aren't always going to see the good that we've done. Recognition is detrimental. In all honesty, I am realizing this because I think recently I've been expecting this recognition for everything that I do in my crazy, hectic, busy life, and I haven't received it. However, as I have realized this I have grown a lot, I've come to understand that life isn't always going to be full of happiness and butterflies. While I write this I realize how hypocritical I am, as I am a huge advocate of giving recognition, yet I believe that we shouldn't expect recognition. I always give individuals recognition when they deserve, but I find myself not receiving this recognition when I think that I deserve it.
I don't always get a pat on the back for getting an "A" on a test, a nice note for being a good friend, a friendly text for posting a new blog post, but I still seem to get decent grades, I'm still a good friend to those who mean the most to me, and I still post blogs on a regular basis. I challenge you my reader, to become an better person as I hope that everyone becomes a better person every day. But please don't only become better because you are expecting for people to come and pat you on the back for it. Be the best friend you can be without expecting your friends to be at your door praising you for your kindness. Be selfless. Be conscious of your decisions, and don't expect recognition, because you're not going to always get it. Part of life is being there for others, doing your best and succeeding, and life doesn't always come knocking with awards, pats on the back or gifts, but I promise you, you are thanked. You may not receive the recognition you want but I guarantee you that others are thanking you with out physically showing you. Dear recognition, I hope that one day our society doesn't expect to see you at our door everyday, I hope that you become a rarity. I hope for this because a selfless society will be a better one.
"It's not easy to find someone to see your best."

No comments:

Post a Comment