Tuesday, February 10, 2015

defining comfort

I can recall many times where the words "I find comfort in...." come out of my mouth preceding another series of words that seem to define where I find myself at ease. Being a full time college student, with a part time job, and being someone who tends to easily become over-involved I seem to find these ways where "I find comfort." See this seems simple to say, but today I was thinking to myself as I told someone that quotes seem to bring me comfort, what is this comfort that I was speaking of? I seem to use this phrase with ease. It isn't uncommon for me to explain who I am to people using comfort phrases. Especially during the semester where I seem to be in over my head constantly and this comfort seems to be the only place for my escape. 
A simple definition of comfort is "a state of physical ease and freedom from pain or constraint." While this is a very encompassing definition I seem to find comfort to mean more to me. When I find comfort in situations, I am fully at ease from all my situations in life. That may seem hard to find, but somehow I manage to find those times and places where I experience this "comfort." I believe that when an individual is able to find a place of comfort, they are able to express who they really are. In today's society it can be difficult to truly express yourself for who you are. Attending a smaller sized university, I am lucky enough to be a part of a community that for the most part is very welcoming of people, however, I know this is not the case everywhere. If finding this place of comfort is one of the only places that an individual can be themselves, then what if you can't find comfort? Of course I say this all based on my personal experiences, and I recognize that life is different for everyone, but it truly makes my heart ache to think some people don't have the opportunity to reach this comfort that I have been able to obtain in times of need. 
I seem to have it easy, I have friends that bring me comfort when I need it, I have places I can go that bring me ease, I have little tasks that calm me down, and I have a family that is my comfort system when I've hit a low. But recently I've recognized that some people don't have these luxuries. For some people it's hard to find these places where they can escape realities, when they can be at complete ease in life, because sometimes reality will never leave. I see reality as one of those little creatures that sits on your shoulder and just hovers as you try to get through life. This is because no matter what you will always have to go back to reality, and some times that reality is the hardest thing to face. Life recently for me has thrown a bunch of curve balls my way, and I don't know if I could have gotten through these curve balls if I didn't have my ways to comfort that I have. I'm curious as to where others are able to find comfort, to find those places or things that seem to just bring complete ease into life and into their realities. 
"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment