Sunday, February 8, 2015

Getting down to the basics

While I can't speak for everyone, I know that personally life seems to be one very complex and complicated situation that puts you through so many good times, and a few bad times as well. Being in college, you'd assume that I know where I want to go with life after I graduate in May of 2016. That however is the complete opposite of where I am in my journey. I came to Longwood with what I thought was going to be the perfect life plan ahead of me. I knew from the start that I was going to be a Criminal Justice major, and for as long as I can remember, I knew that I was going to become some form of a law enforcement officer. However, life has thrown quite a few curve balls my way since August 2012 when I began my college journey.
Everyday I go to my classes to learn as much as I can about sociology and criminal justice and I truly enjoy the classes, and learning about the subjects, but I've come to realize this is not what I'm meant to do when graduation comes around in just over a year. Something sparked in my life this year, where all I can picture myself doing is helping others. I have had so many amazing moments at Longwood this year, and I have had those moments that make the good ones feel like they mean nothing. I am fully convinced that these good and bad memories are what have lead me to this urge that says I am meant to help others, I am meant to be an positive influence on the community, and while I may not know exactly how just yet, I will find my way there some how. 
I've blogged in the past, but I've decided to start fresh because I recognize that I am a different person now, I recognize that I have a different purpose in life. My goals for this simple blog is to impact others as I somehow find my way through this crazy journey that we call life. I attended a leadership conference in November for an organization that I have the pleasure of being a part of, and I sat down with an individual and had a conversation about what we were taking away from that weekend. The one thing that I will always remember from that conversation is when we decided that we needed to learn to "be comfortable with the uncomfortable." This is something that I challenge myself to everyday and I too challenge you all to learn to be comfortable with the uncomfortable. This isn't so that you seem prepared for everything that seems to come your way, but so that you too will have the opportunity to love the life you are living just as much as I love the life that I was given to live. 
"You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it."

No comments:

Post a Comment